In case you missed the Net Impact Sustainability Careers event last week, or weren’t quick enough to jot them down, here are the 8 skills that Mike Barry looks for when he hires:
1. People skills: how will you win over sceptics and get them on board?
2. Lead change: spell out where you’re going – what’s your vision and how will you get there?
3. Huge personal integrity: be true to your values – lead by example!
4. Business knowledge: know the business if you want to change it
5. Build partnerships: who can say no to win-win opportunities?
6. Innovative mind: think outside the box; break down large complex challenges into manageable parts
7. Sustainability: you don’t need to be a scientist or an expert – you need to be able to translate the science
8. Courage: to persevere and go against the grain
Do you have what it takes to succeed?
For further reading, check out Shannon Houde’s blog for her take on Mike Barry’s tips for job seekers.