As a recruitment consultant, specialising in Global Corporate Sustainability, Maggie Brown often gets asked by graduates and professionals alike to provide advice about how to break into the Sustainability space in London. With this in mind, here are 5 tips for landing a sustainability job.
1) Define your goals. What does your ideal role look like? What skill set do you possess that differentiates you from other candidates? Which skills would you like to use in your next role? Once you know what you want you can plan out how to get there.
2) Map the market. Do some research, the sustainability space cuts across all sectors and the opportunities are endless. This can be daunting but if you have an understanding of what you want, you can start to identify the opportunities that fit your criteria. Be creative…and keep your eye on the job boards to understand which sectors are growing the fastest.
3) Be proactive and make some approaches. Don’t be afraid to call people. You will be amazed how friendly and willing to share people in this space are. If you want more information about a company, NGO or charity, call them.
4) Get involved. Do some volunteering while you job hunt. We all need cash to live but if you can spare the time, volunteering can give you more direction, a better understanding of the opportunities in the market, and help you build your network. It is also a chance to do something valuable and make an impact (as well as bolster your CV!)
5) Attend events. Go to as many relevant events as you can manage, to learn more about the market and the space. You never know, you might meet someone who has a role for you or who knows of someone else who has a role for you. To get you started, join Net Impact on September 19th to learn more about careers in sustainability! For more details and to register, click here.